Sunday, March 13, 2011

Before my Time


Something that stirs my soul. Well this would be Sally Mann's work. She can take everyday life and show the beauty in a way you do not see it with your own eye's.

Sally Mann uses her family a lot in her images. I saw a documentary on her and it showed how she worked with her camera and her models. This image that inspired me was taken of her young daughter stepping into a pool and Sally instructed her to move her hair in a certain way and close her eyes then she took the shot. I can't believe how the image looked so different than the video. The lighting and the way the print was developed gives the image a kind of spooky deep emotional feel. I love the hair floating in the water.

When I did my best to mimic the image I used my younger daughter in the bathtub. This made it hard to get the right angle of her head. I bounced the flash light off the ceiling to give it a feel of sun shining down - hard to get the same shadow as she had. I added grain in the post process and gave it a little bit of a vignette. I really like the result. I feel the image still has a dreamy feeling like Sally Mann's but not as spooky maybe a bit angel like. I really enjoyed this project and I will be trying some more of this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment